Mark your calendar - St. Matthias Episcopal Church will hold its 56th Annual Christmas Bazaar on December 5th, from 10am-2pm, in Summerton.
The following is a brief history of the church and a link to their web site.
St. Matthias Episcopal Church
- A meeting
in the yard of The Presbyterian Church, marked the beginning of the
establishment of St. Matthias in 1889. The land to build the church and
given by Mrs. R. H. Belser. The church was built and paid for through
and accumulated funds. On St. Mathias Day, February 24, 1899, the church
was officially consecrated by Bishop Capers. The rectory adjoining the
church was built in
1903. In 1910, the church was remodeled and rebuilt on
concrete blocks and stained glass windows were added. A valuable
organ was installed in 1917. The organ was purchased from the
Methodist Church and has the date of February 23, 1870, on the bellows.
It is one of only two remaining Felgenmaker organs - both of which are
Episcopal churches in SC.
A bronze tablet, given by members of the congregation and bearing names
church's founders, was dedicated on September 9, 1956, by Rev. Richard
Patton. Visit the church on N. Duke Street in the heart of Summerton.
* See information on other Historic Churches in Summerton, SC