- The Laurence Manning Academy Swampcats defeated Cardinal Newman to clench their second straight SCISA Class 3A Baseball state title. See http://manninglive.com/2017/05/16/swampcats-win-state-title/
- The Laurence Manning Academy Lady Swampcats repeated as SCISA Class 3A Softball state champions. See http://www.scnow.com/sports/article_fa5dfd06-3bcf-11e7-92ec-236086b17009.html
- East Clarendon Wolverines won the South Carolina Class A Softball state championship. See http://www.scnow.com/sports/article_bb53f96c-3bcf-11e7-933e-bfb08e98f474.html
Thursday, May 18, 2017
Clarendon County SC - Local Sports News Summary: It was a great week for Clarendon County schools as they clinched three 2017 state titles this week.
Tuesday, May 9, 2017
It's the 21st century and their are many new ways to use technology to help share your faith and beliefs in the emerging 'Information Age'. The following are a collection of links to selected web sites offering free & open source software (FOSS) and tools for religious organizations and individuals. Check them out and share with others.
- Bible App for Kids - A popular free and open source app for kids.
- Bible Time - A free and open source Bible study program.
- BibleGateway - A web site offering access to an online Bible search engine and other useful research tools and information resources.
- Christian Clip Art - Links to free Christian clip art provided by the Atlantic Fish web site.
- ChurchBiz Online - Offering a variety of free solutions for churches, e.g. software, eBooks, music, and much more.
- ChurchInfo - A free, open source database driven program to help churches track members, families, groups, pledges and payments.
- CrossWire Bible Software - A variety of open source religious software products for use on Laptops, Desktops, and PDAs.
- CyberSpace Ministries - A web site offering free software, Bible games, and other products and services.
- GearDownload - A web site providing a list of numerous open source or shareware religious software.
- Lectionary / Sermon Writer - A web site with free and low cost software, preaching and teaching tools for pastors, chaplains, and other clergy.
- OpenLP -An open source lyrics/media projection application developed specifically for churches
- OpenSong - A a free, open-source software application created to manage lyrics, chords, lead sheets, overheads, computer projection, and more.
- SWORD Project - A Bible software development project that has created a range of related cross-platform open source tools.
- TechMission Christian Software - A collection of freeware and open source software aimed at Christian organizations and individuals. They include church management software, ministry software, Bible study software, and more.
- Ubuntu: Christian Edition - a free, open source operating system geared towards Christians. It is based on the popular Ubuntu Linux.
- Xiphos - A popular open source Bible study software application.
There are many other links to available information and tools that have been posted on the COSI'Open' Religious Technology & Tools web site.
If you know of other free and 'open source' tools, send us the links so we can share them with our readers.
Monday, May 8, 2017
The Lake Marion Artisans hosted a book signing and reception for local author Vicki Wilkerson at their art gallery in the town of Summerton on Saturday, May 6,, 2017. The event was well attended by local as well as regional guests and patrons. Ms. Wilkerson signed copies of Sweet Tea and Time and Bikers and Pearls, two of the books in her Summerbrook Series.
The Summerbrook Novels are wholesome, inspirational stories about a group of girlfriends who navigate the changing landscape of life, love and family in Summerbrook, a fictitious small town in the South. Wilkerson says, “I was born in the Lowcountry and have always been enamored with stories that convey the Southern experience. I hope my novels paint verbal pictures of the South and engender the same love I have of this region to readers.”
After moving to Summerton three years ago, Vicki Wilkerson says she found new inspiration in the beautiful landscapes, the history of the area and the people. She says, “Summerton provides the same small town quiet atmosphere I try to create in my novels, so it’s the perfect place to write.”
Wilkerson is also a painter, and her art and books will be featured in the gallery for the entire month of May. Signed copies of her novels are available at the gallery. As one of the Reception guests put it, “I just love reading Vicki’s books. She always has a great story. And the books are so wholesome and sweet that I can leave them lying around when my grandchildren visit.”
Two more books in Wilkerson’s Summerbrook Series, Swamps and Soirees (June 2017) and Fireflies and Lies (November 2017), will be published later this year. Wilkerson says, “The Lake Marion Artisans Gallery is a lovely venue to host local artists and authors and to display their work, and the members are some of the most kind and gracious people I’ve met.” Wilkerson’s novels are also available on Amazon, and the Gallery will carry her new releases when published.
Author Vicki Wilkerson
- Article written by Nancy Foster
Sunday, May 7, 2017
Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Robots, and the Internet of Things (IoT) will help solve some of the major challenges the world is currently facing in healthcare, transportation, finance, defense, manufacturing. However, there are also some major issues and risks that come with these technologies.
This article attempts to provide a quick, high level overview of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) technologies and their potential to massively impact and disrupt civilization as we know it today. Let’s start with a definition of these two new, related technologies.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) - Refers to intelligence exhibited by machines. In computer science, the term "artificial intelligence" is applied when a machine mimics cognitive functions generally associated with human minds, such as ‘learning’ and ‘problem solving’.
|Artificial Intelligence (AI) is one of the hottest areas of technology research and development. Major corporations like IBM, Google, Microsoft, Facebook and Amazon are investing heavily in this area and are buying up startups that have made progress in areas like machine learning and neural networks. - Datamation|
‘Open Source’ AI & ML Solutions
The ‘Open Source’ software development methodology and business model is at the heart of the rapid evolution and innovation of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) technologies and solutions.
Based on a review of recent articles on software, the following are brief profiles on some of the best of the currently available ‘open source’ AI and ML solutions that we all ought to know a little more about as they begin to flow into industry, e.g. manufacturing, finance, healthcare, defense.
TensorFlow - An open source software library for ‘machine intelligence’ originally developed by researchers and engineers working on the Google Brain Team within Google's Machine Intelligence R&D organization.
Accord.NET is a .NET machine learning (ML) framework combined with audio and image processing libraries completely written in C#. It is a complete framework for building usable production-grade applications.
Amazon Machine Learning (AML) provides visualization tools and wizards that guide you through the process of creating machine learning (ML) models without having to learn complex ML algorithms and technology.
CNTK is Microsoft’s open source ‘deep learning’ cognitive toolkit that is available on GitHub.
H2O is the world’s leading open source ‘deep learning’ AI platform. H2O is used by over 80,000 data scientists and more than 9,000 organizations around the world.
Torch is a scientific computing framework offering wide support for machine learning algorithms that puts GPUs first. It is easy to use and efficient, thanks to an easy and fast scripting language called LuaJIT.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) technologies are already being deployed in many industries, e.g. finance, healthcare, manufacturing, transportation, defense. However, some of the key issues that need to be more fully addressed over the coming decade before these systems are widely deployed include:
Ethics - The moral behavior being programmed by humans into robots and other 'smart' AI systems, e.g. Roboethics.
Privacy & Security – When AI systems are turned loose to monitor your personal information, who it is being shared with and how they are using it must be better addressed and understood.
Legal Issues – What is the legal standing of intelligent machines of the future and who is responsible for the actions they may take that could harm you.
The Bank of England has predicted that intelligent machines might take over 80 million US and 15 million British jobs, respectively over the next 10 to 20 years. Think of what this means for you and your livelihood.
If you are concerned and want to learn more about AI and ML technologies and their potential to ‘rock your world’, you might want to check out the following items:
Conclusion & Next Steps
As you begin to delve deeper into the key issues raised above, many other questions begin to arise that actually touch on the future of mankind as we know it. Many of these issues and questions have not yet begun to be discussed and addressed by many of our leaders in the public and private sector. That should be of concern to us all. Fortunately, the collaborative ‘open source’ approach being used to develop these new technologies has brought tens of thousands of our best minds to bear on these issues.
|WARNING: Stephen Hawking has said the development of full Artificial Intelligence (AI) could spell the end of the human race – and Elton Musk agreed.|
Have you begun to think about Artificial Intelligence and ‘Smart’ Machines? How do you think they will impact you and the lives of your children? Share your constructive thoughts with our readers.