- In July, Santee unveiled their public relations and marketing plan to enhance the image of the town and attract visitors, businesses, and retirees to the area.
- In August, construction began on the $5 million recreation and water park that will open in 2015.
- In September, plans for three small Orangeburg county school districts to merge began moving forward.
- In October, construction of the new full access interchange at I-95 and Hwy. 301 got underway. It will facilitate movement of traffic to and from new industries moving into the Matthews Industrial Park.
- In November, when the announcement was made about the shut down of the local Piggly Wiggly in nearby Holly Hill, the Bell family bought the store and will ensure it remains open and continues to serve the needs of the community.
Is there any action underway in the county to consider merging the three school districts in Clarendon county? What actions are being taken to attract new, modern businesses to Summerton? What is the town going to do now that it has been announced that the local Piggly Wiggly is to be shut down?
What do the citizens of Summerton need to do in order for the town and surrounding communities to survive and thrive in the 21st century? Share your ideas here and with your local civic, business, and government leaders. We must do better.
* Read the local Summerton Weekly News Roundup and check out the Summerton 'Open' Phone Book.