15.2.15

Management in Brief

After I completed my Masters Degree in Public Administration (MPA) many years ago, I decided that the essence of everything I had learned about Management could be summed up as follows:

Luther Gulick (1937) suggested that the major functions of the managerial process are embodied in the acronym, POSDCRB

  • Planning,
  • Organizing,
  • Staffing,
  • Directing,
  • Controlling/Coordinating,
  • Reporting
  • Budgeting.
Cycle of Major Management Functions

 

According to Peter Groen (1977), the major resources to be managed are embodied in the acronym, 4M’S & I -

  • Manpower,
  • Money,
  • Machines,
  • Materials,
  • Space,
  • Information.

Once you understand and master the major functions and and key resources its is then all about style and experience - learning what management style best fits the particular type of organization, situation or project you are facing.

No comments:

Post a Comment